This whole Facebook trying to get me to promote my posts to my existing likers of my Facebook page by shrinking the reach, continues to irk me. For a start, the ‘option’ of promoting your posts is only available to selected pages. That means that essentially, you pouring energy into your Facebook page and having a certain level of engagement makes you a target. They then throttle your audience so that you notice a change in the reach and then feel compelled to put your hand in your pocket.
It reminds me of the dial-up days where upgrades in speed came thick and fast with new packages becoming available. How do you get someone to upgrade if you’re a shady ISP? Throttle the speed so that you want the better service.
Facebook is under the misguided impression that my ego and my ‘marketing plan’ is so desperate to ‘get back’ the hidden audience, that I’ll spend money to access them. It’s a bit of an insult really.
But let’s imagine that I wanted to spend money on promoting a post…
When I take a closer look at the pricing and the so-called reach I would get, it’s an open and shut case of crazy-making. It just doesn’t make sense.
First up, they’ve added a little box that appears when you hover over the percentage of people reached, to remind you that they’re screwing you over:
This sh*te still just doesn’t make sense.
- I'm Natalie and I blog for a living. I'm a dating and relationships writer and coolhunter. This is my 'journal' of what I get up to, the occasional rant, tips and inspiration, plus things I love that you may find useful or just plain lovable too.
- Tired Of Facebook & Their Crazy-Making: The Promote Numbers Just Don’t Make Sense
- Shady Relationships: Facebook & The Case Of The ‘Missing’ Likers & Promoted Posts
- (Mostly Annoying) Things I’ve Learned This Week #1
- How I Shaved Thousands Off My Inbox Each Month
- 7 Years Blogging – Thoughts on the I Don’t Give an Eff principle & more